You will find a variety of documents across The Gap portal; this article will help you understand what these documents are for and how to use them.
Types of portal documents
- Portal forms: these are customisable documents you edit within the portal then download or email to your client
- On-screen PDFs: these provide instructions or details about a portal feature or a Gap service
- Microsoft Office downloads: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint templates to download and customise
Finding a portal document
- Use the Search feature on the left-hand side of the Main menu to find a portal document
- Navigate to the bridges area, or the relevant tab in the Main menu, to find your portal document
Portal form features
The features described here can be found in most portal forms.
- Portal administrators can create new Versions of Gap forms with customised text, available for all firm users to use
- All users can create Templates in Main menu > > Templates, available for all firm users to use
- You can edit a document name by clicking the name, editing the text, then clicking out of the field
- You can also rename documents in the Working Files area and client's Activity tab by hovering over the document name > Edit > type the new name. The document name will automatically save when you click out of the field
Do not use Gap Forms to request credit card or payment details!
Send as email, send as letter, or print
We recommend that you send via email in the interests of efficiency.
All proposals, as well as the Professional Clearance Letter and Post Trust Review Lawyer Letter, can be sent as an email or as a letter. Select a sending method then customise the body of the form accordingly.
Send as email
- Select a client then edit the Subject Line and email body
- If you intend on sending the email to more than one recipient, we recommend customising the greeting to suit, e.g. 'Hi John and Jane' or 'Hi all'
- After clicking Next, the Action page will appear and load your client's primary contact by default.
- Click to select between other available client Contacts and other members of your firm.
- Add additional email addresses separated by a comma.
- Review the email preview under Send as email. If required, click Back or Draft to edit the email body.
- When ready, hit Send.
The portal will BCC the email and its attachments to all recipients. If the email contains a 'click here' link, your client will be able to access an online form to complete and submit back to you.
If your firm has activated the FYI integration
and you have enabled a BCC Email, a BCC FYI email will show after the primary contact; click in the BCC email
if you don't wish to file to FYI.
If you accidentally highlight and remove the 'click here' link, the portal will automatically append the text 'Please click here to read and submit the document.' to the bottom of the email.
Send as Letter
- Select a client to fill in client details
- Edit the letter's body as necessary
- Download the letter as a PDF after clicking Next
- Select the Print checkbox
- Click the Print to PDF button to download the portal form to your device
- Access the PDF from your Downloads folder
Select a client when creating a portal form to save the document against the client's Activity tab and to automatically populate the form with the client's details.
- Click the Client dropdown in the top right corner
- Select the client from the list
- Tip: If you have a long list of clients, start typing the first few letters of the client's name after clicking the dropdown to quickly find the client
- You can add attachments to any email sent via the portal
- Some emails have an attachment loaded by The Gap; there will be a red paperclip on the right-hand side of the subject line to indicate a file has been attached - hover over the paperclip to view the filename or click to download or delete the attachment
- See the Using email attachments article for more information
Adding, modifying or deleting a Firm Logo
Each portal form will automatically populate with the firm logo that has been uploaded in your Firm Settings. If you do not have a logo uploaded, there will be placeholder 'Firm Logo' text. Firm logos display in the centre at the top of each page of a document.
- To change the current logo, hover over it with your mouse and click Replace Logo to open the Select Logo popover prompt
- To select a previously uploaded logo, click the logo in the popover prompt
- To upload a new logo, click Browse... > select an image > Open. Logos must not exceed 5MB in size. All uploaded logos are visible firm-wide
- Please note that logo change will not pull through to previously drafted documents
- You can delete a custom logo by hovering over the image and clicking Remove Custom Logo ; the logo will revert back to the default logo in your Firms Settings
Consider changing your firm's logo to your client's logo on plan documents, e.g. Business Plan, Succession Plan, Marketing Plan, etc.
All customisable portal forms have editing toolbars to update the content as necessary. See The editing toolbars
article for more information about using the toolbars.
Made a mistake? Click the Undo
- Input fields allow information to automatically populate portal forms, indicate where a user must enter information, or allow a client to input text into a client form
- Small input fields are designed to input a single line of text
- Some automatically populate with details from your firm settings, user settings or client profile
- Some contain placeholder text (appearing as light grey text); you must enter text in these fields (placeholder text will not pull through to the outputted document)
- Some contain information in black text which will pull through to the outputted document but may need to be updated, e.g. length of a meeting
- Some are set up to repeat the information you input later in the form, e.g. facilitator name and pre-work due date in the initial text fields automatically repeats in text fields throughout the pre-work
- Big input fields are designed to input multiple lines of text
- Some automatically populate with your firm's address, e.g. in a meeting confirmation email
- Some should be updated with a link, e.g. in an online meeting confirmation email
- Most are used in client forms to allow the client to answer questions, e.g. Pre-work and Feedback
- You can resize big input fields by clicking the double lines in the bottom-right corner of the box and dragging it up or down
- An input field outlined in red is a required field for completing a form
Need an additional answer field in your pre-work? See instructions in the Using pre-work
- Checkboxes :
- User checkboxes:
- Checkboxes in proposals are used to include the suggested objectives, measures of success and value
- Checkboxes in other portal forms are used to check items off a list, e.g. in the Administration Support Checklists
- Client checkboxes:
- Clients must tick the checkbox in the online acceptance section prior to submitting the proposal to indicate they accept the terms of the proposal
- Clients must tick an additional checkbox in the online acceptance section of the Service Proposal in the Proactive Onboarding bridge to indicate they accept the Terms of Engagement
- Radio buttons :
- Round buttons used to select between options, e.g. the buttons for 'Yes' and 'No' in the Meeting Minutes in coaching bridges
- Don't copy and paste these; if you need additional rows to record a yes/no answer, delete the radio buttons from the existing rows and type yes or no in all rows instead
Adding interactive fields
It's not possible to add your own interactive fields to a document, however, we recommend reviewing the templates available in the Main menu > > Templates tab.
We have a template for each of our main styles of documents, which are
intentionally designed so you can match our systemised process for each service.
Removing interactive fields
To remove an input field,
place the cursor after the field and then press backspace on your keyboard.
Some fields automatically populate with data and might be required to
complete a document.
Portal forms have a footer with a copyright symbol © followed by the text your portal administrator has inputted into the Footer Text field under Main menu > > Firm Settings.
Click the Preview button at the bottom of the page to view your form as a PDF in a new browser tab to check formatting and any changes made before sending the form to a client.
Save as draft
- You can save a form as a draft at any time and continue editing it later
- When you save a form as a draft, it can be accessed from the Main menu > > Drafts tab
- The portal autosaves an open form every 30 seconds if an edit is detected
- If client selection is required for a form, the autosave function only starts saving every 30 seconds after a client is selected and an edit has been detected
- Exercise caution: while this feature is designed to prevent loss of data in unexpected circumstances, if two users attempt to edit the same draft, both drafts will autosave.
To avoid potential data loss due to the autosave function, ensure you only have one document draft open on one device at a time.
Completing a form
- Click the Next or Action button to complete a form
- The Next button remains inactive until all required fields are filled
- If you need to tweak the form before sending, click the Back or Draft button
- Completed forms can be accessed in the Main menu > > Completed tab or the client's Activity tab
Actioning your completed form
After clicking the Next or Action button, the next page will include various sections of the options available to action the document.
The Send as email section
- The primary contact's email address will be listed by default
- This is the primary contact's email address as set up in your client's profile
- If you need to CC yourself, click and select your email from the dropdown list
- Click and select further contacts from the dropdown or type in email addresses, separated by a comma. Check out our sending to multiple recipients article for more information
- If your firm has activated the FYI integration and you have enabled a BCC Email, a BCC FYI email will show after the primary contact; click in the BCC email if you don't wish to file to FYI
- Below the Recipients list, you can review your email contents, including the subject line and any uploaded attachments
- If the email contains a link to a client form, you can click this link to preview how the form will look to your clients
- When ready, click Send
You can finish actioning your completed form by clicking Done. This will redirect you back to the Bridge subfolder of the document.
The Download to PDF section
- There are up to two buttons that may be available in this section:
- The Download to PDF button, which will download the form to PDF
- The Download Letter button, which will download the letter to PDF (only available is 'Send as letter' was selected)
The File to FYI section
portal will automatically attempt to select the appropriate client to
whom you'll send the form but you can click to edit the client if
- If your firm has activated the FYI integration and you do not have a BCC email or if the form cannot be emailed, a File in FYI section will appear
If you need to make a change to a completed document, navigate to the Main menu
tab and click the name of the document. This will create a new draft using the same
content. Implement the changes, then click the Next
buttons again. To keep your document records tidy, you may wish to delete the old document from the Completed tab and your client's Activity tab.
How will an email look to my client?
- Review the email in the Email preview section, including clicking the link to the online form, prior to sending an email
To reduce firm setup requirements and ensure best email deliverability practices are followed, the portal sends all emails via the generic email address firstname.lastname@example.org Client replies will be sent to the email address in the Reply-to field in your User Settings - by default, this will be the email address used upon account creation
- If a client replies to an email sent via the portal, their reply will be sent to the address in the Reply-to field in your User Settings
- By default, this will be set to the same email address you use to log in to the portal but can be customised if needed
- Proposals will contain a link for online acceptance as well as a PDF of the proposal attached to the email for manual acceptance
Receiving documents from clients
When you send a document to a client that can be completed online, the following will happen upon document submission:
- Your clients can choose to download or email themselves a copy of the document
- You will receive an automatic email notification containing:
- Details of the submitted document, including the client who submitted it
- A PDF of the client's completed document
- Any attachments your client added
- The document and any attachments will also be available in both the Main menu > > Inbox tab and the client's Activity tab
If the document is a proposal, you'll need to mark the proposal as won or lost in the Proposals Open area of the Main menu > > Dashboard. For more information, see The portal Dashboard
- On-screen PDFs are embedded in the page and can be printed or downloaded
- Click the Print button at the top right to open your system print dialogue and print the PDF
- Click the Download button in the top right-hand corner to download the PDF to your desktop
Microsoft Office downloads
- These will automatically download when you click the name of the document
- Access the file from the Downloads folder on your device
Managing drafted documents
To start, navigate to the Main menu > > Drafts tab. Documents in this tab are drafts created from any editable form when a user clicks the Save as draft button or when the portal autosaves a document By default, Drafts expire 6 months after the last ...
Managing clients and client documents
Use the clients area to manage your client list and succinctly view a record of all documents completed for a selected client. To manage your client list, clients can be added, edited or deleted in two different areas of the portal, depending on ...
Using email attachments
You can attach multiple files from your computer or a client's completed documents to portal emails. Warning! The document size limit of all combined attachments is 10MB. Adding an attachment Select your client from the Client dropdown. Click ...
Customising firm settings
The Firm Settings area is where you will add your firm's contact information, Logo and Footer Text. This information will automatically populate portal documents. Attention You must have administrator rights to access the portal areas referenced in ...
Managing completed documents
To start, navigate to the Main menu > > Completed tab. Documents are saved here when a user clicks the Next or Action button. Note By default, Completed documents expire 2 years after the completion date. Finding a Completed document If the ...