Saving amended versions of a document
feature allows you to create and save your own version of portal forms, e.g. creating a farming-specific version
. We recommend only making minimal changes to portal forms
as they've been created to follow a systemised best practice process. Your firm should have a robust process for creating and editing versions
and ensure any changes add value to the client.
Versions are not designed for bespoke document creation. If you wish to create a document for your firm's bespoke services, use our Templates area instead.
You must have administrator rights to access the portal areas referenced in this article.
Ownership of the IP of
is retained by The Gap as per the terms of our
To start, navigate to the portal form
you wish to create a version of; we recommend using the
feature on the left-hand side of the
We regularly update portal forms. Any updates made will not update your previously created versions. We recommend viewing our
New and Updated Content
page regularly to review content updates.
Do not include any client information during version
- All Versions are accessible firm-wide
- Edits to Gap Portal Forms without using the versions feature cannot be saved
- You can only create versions of editable forms, not on-screen PDFs or direct downloads
- You can set your firm's version as the default so it appears when the document is opened by using the Set as default version feature
- You can have up to 10 versions of a document
- When you click the Versions menu the opened version appears highlighted in light red by default
Creating a version
- Find the relevant Portal Form.
- Click the Versions menu > + create new.
- Update the Document Name and Version Name. Document Names are visible to clients; Version Names are only visible to firm users. The document name will be searchable within your portal.
- To make this version appear when the document is opened (instead of the Gap version), click Set as default version .
- Review and edit the Subject Line and contents of the Email. To attach a file, click Attach in the top right-hand corner of the Email section, then select a document and click Open. This attachment will be sent when this version is used unless removed by the user.
- Review and edit the contents of the document.
- Click Preview to review your version.
- Click Save.
We strongly recommend checking the following:
- The Using pre-work article when creating or editing a version of a pre-work document
- The Using proposals article when creating or editing a version of a proposal document
You can create a new version of one of your versions by clicking the
button in the
Using a version
- Find the document you wish to use.
- If your version is not the default, click the Versions menu > select the desired Version; if it is the default it will already appear on screen.
- Select a client and edit the document as necessary for that specific client.
- Click Preview to review the document before sending.
- Click Complete to send to the client or Save as Draft to save to your Drafts tab.
Any edits made while
will only apply to the version sent to the client; not to your firm's saved v
Do not use Gap Forms to request credit card or payment details!
Editing a version
All versions are visible firm-wide, consider the implications that editing a version will have on other firm users.
- Find the document you wish to edit. For more information, check the Using the editing toolbars article.
- Click the Versions menu > find the version > Edit Version . The version will then open in Edit Version mode.
- Edit the version as required.
- Click Preview to review your edited version.
- Click Save.
Deleting a version
- Find the document whose version you wish to delete.
- Click the Versions menu > find the version > Delete Version . Alternatively, click the Delete button at the bottom of the page while in Edit Version mode.
- Click OK to confirm.
If the document you deleted was the
current default version, the
Gap Version will become the new default.
Deleting a version
cannot be reversed.
are firm-wide; deleting a version
removes the document for
all firm users .
cannot be deleted.
Using portal documents
You will find a variety of documents across The Gap portal; this article will help you understand what these documents are for and how to use them. Types of portal documents Portal forms: these are customisable documents you edit within the portal ...
Content types commonly found in Gap bridges
The Gap's systemised process means that most bridges contain common document types, with additional content relevant to the specific service. Below is a simple summary of each of the common document types. For more information on content within a ...
Proposals are portal forms used to offer services to your clients. All proposals are able to be accepted online by the client or they can print and sign a PDF version attached to the email sent via the portal. The accepted proposal forms a legally ...
Delivering digital marketing using BOMA
The Gap integrates with BOMA, a digital marketing tool for accountants and bookkeepers, allowing The Gap and BOMA users to seamlessly deliver education marketing campaigns promoting Gap services. New content is published each week; each containing a ...
Managing custom templates
The Templates tab is where you can utilise default templates to create your own bespoke content and systems in the portal. To start, navigate to Main menu > > Templates. Documents in this tab are used to create templates for bespoke services Use the ...